Top Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) for Applied Conservation Agronomy.
Note: The answer with an “o” is the correct one.
1. pH of saline soils is usually _____________.
a. less than 10 b. more than 8.5
c. more than 10 o d. less than 8.5
2. Exchangeable sodium percentage for saline soils is _____________.
a. equal to 15 o b. less than 15
c. less than 18 d. more than 15
3. EC for alkali soils is less than ___________ mmhos/cm.
o a. 4 b. 6
c. 8 d. 10
4. If salinity is upto _______EC mmhos/cm its effects mostly negligible.
a. 8 o b. 2
c. 16 d. 18
5. Most salt tolerant grass is _________.
a. para grass b.. giant star grass
o c. kallar grass d. dab grass
6. Most salt tolerant fodder is ___________.
a. berseem b. oats
c. lucerne o d. senji
7. Among the following the most salt tolerant crop is _____________.
a. maize o b. barley
c, beans d. cotton
8. Soluble salts are less than 0.2% in _____________.
a. saline soil b. saline sodic soil
c. sodic soil d. water logged soil
9. Saline sodic/sodic soils can be reclaimed by using.
a. MgSO4.2H2O o b. CaSO4.2H2O
c. BaSO4.2H2O d. K2SO4.2H2O
10. CO3 and HCO3 are absent in soils.
o a. saline b. saline sodic
c.sodic d. water logged
11. Which one is not the cause of water logging.
a. rainfall b. flooding by rivers
c. defecting system of canals o d. sowing time
12. Soil salinity can cause “TIRAK” in _______ crop.
o a. cotton b. rice
c. sugarcane d. maize
13. Cereals grown on saline cultures show _________ colour in the leaves when plant. approach maturity.
a. blacking b. yellowish
o c. reddish d. greenish
14. Which one is not the method to remove excess salts from the surface of the soil?
a. flushing b. scrapping
c. leaching d. evalaunching
15. Which one is not the method for eradication of water logging?
a. lining of canals b. planting trees
c. drainage o d. use of press mud
16. Which one is not the local name of white alkali soils?
a. kallar b. thur
c. shor o d. crust
17. One cusec is equal to _______ gallons.
a. 12.24 o b. 6.24
c. 10.24 d. 8.24
18. The top soil layer of _______ cm is considered the principle feeding zone of most of agricultural crops.
o a. 12.5 to 22.5 b. 25.5 to 35.5
c. 40.5 to 50.5 d. 50.5 to 60.5
19. The strips laid along the contour at right angles to the natural direction of the slope is called ________.
a. wind strip cropping b. buffer strip cropping
c. field strip cropping o d. contour strip cropping
20. The soils having organic matter more than 50% are called _____.
a. muck soils o b. peat soil
c. colluvial soils d. glacial soils
21. Which one is used to raise pH and correct acidity of the soil?
a. magnesia b. lye
c. ammonia o d. lime
22. The process of removing excess soluble salts or excess exchangeable sodium from soils is called ______.
a. fertilization b. scarification
o c. reclaimation d. starification
23. Low infiltration in fine textured soils results in _________.
o a. water erosion b. wind erosion
c. both a & b d. glacier erosion
24. In soils _________ acts as commenting agent.
a. organic matter and nitrogen b. organic matter and phosphorus
o c. organic matter and Ca d. organic matter and S
25. Barani area counts for ______% of total area in Punjab.
a. 10% o b. 20%
c. 30% d. 40%
26. Final condition of soil after tillage have been performed is called ______.
a. primary tillage b. zero tillage
c. minimum tillage o d. tilth
27. The soil particle with ________ mm diameter move by suspension.
a. > 0.005 o b. <0.05
c. < 0.5 d. < 5
28. The particles with 0.05 to 0.5 mm in diameter move by _______.
a. suspension b. surface creep
o c. saltation d. none of them
29. The particles larger than 1 mm diameter __________.
a. move by suspension b. surface creep
c. saltation o d. do not move by wind
30. Which one is not a type of soil movement by wind?
a. suspension o b. splash
c. saltation d. surface creep
31. The velocity necessary to start the first particle moving is called ______.
o a. fluid threshold velocity b. impact threshold velocity
c. economic threshold velocity d. none of them
32. Clean tilled crops _________ erosion.
a. protect b. retard
o c. encourage d. do not affect
33. Organic contents of soil can be increased by growing _______.
a. clean tilled crops b. close growing crops
o c. leguminous crop d. no crop
34. Application of agronomic principles to the solution of soil and water management is called _______.
a. soil and water conservation o b. conservation Agronomy
c. agronomic conservation d. none of them
35. The surface area of _______ soils particles is high.
o a. fine b. coarse
c. medium d. both a & b
36. There are _____ link canals in Pakistan.
a. 7 b. 8
o c. 9 d. 10
37. Downwards movement of water within soil is called _______.
a. seepage b. infiltration
o c. percolation d. absorption
38. Which one is not a practice of controlling water erosion?
a. terracing b. contouring
c. leveling o d. wind breaks
39. ________ is mechanical manipulation of soil to provide soil condition suitable for crop growth..
a. tilth o b. tillage
c. mulching d. both a & b
40. The objective of tillage is to:
a. breaking of hard pan b. controlling weeds
c. separate diseased seeds o d. both b & c
41. Which one is example of natural mulch
o a. cultivation b. crop residues
c. organic manure d. both a & b
42. The soils containing more clay particles are _________ to water erosion.
a. more susceptible o b. less susceptible
c. none of them d. both a & b
43. Which one is not a type of water erosion?
a. sheet erosion b. gully erosion
c. rill erosion o d. run off
44. Soil texture refers to:
a. arrangement of soil particles o b. relative proportion of soil particles
c. organic contents of soil d. none of them
45. Which one is form of wind erosion?
a. extrusion b. abrasion
c. suspension o d. both a & b
46. ___________ = ( % sand + % silt) / % clay
o a. index of erodibility b. index of texture
c. index of fertility d. index of productivity
47. Which one is not a practice of water conservation?
a. mulching o b. fallowing
c. contouring d. terracing